Magento 2 is quickly becoming something us Magento developers need to learn pretty rapidly as we'll soon be expected to start building our clients stores on the platform and building extensions. I wanted to take the opportunity to create a simple set of posts which will go over, at a bit of a high level, on how to create a full blown magento 2 module.. with admin management, and unit tests!
So, by the end of this small series of blog posts you will be able to do the following, with ease:
- Creating a module that is installable via Composer
- Create controllers and understand how the rewrite system works
- How blocks, layouts and template work
- Create models and interact with the database
- Setup an admin interface to create, edit and delete items from the database.
- Create unit tests to support all of the above!
What are we going to build?
The end extension will be a fairly basic blog, you'll be able create blog posts from the admin including editing and deleting them. Then from the frontend you will be able to view a list of all the blog posts, and view each blog post individually. I believe this will allow us to cover all the essentials into building a magento extension!